Thursday, October 27, 2011

Grab a tissue.........

When Bubba was little I was so sad at the thought that he might not ever have a friend, a true friend that you share secrets with and have sleep overs with. I was worried that not only would he not have a “true friend” but he would be picked on. My heart broke the first time his teacher had to call me to tell me about an incident on the playground when he was called the S word… you know… yes, stupid.  I feared that no one would ever take the time to get to know him the way that I know him, that he would never be invited to a birthday party, or get to know the humorous side of him that I love so much.

 I was so terrified of the thought of my baby going to junior high middle school. Just the thought of him being around all of those mean, smelly, BIG kids was overwhelming. You know, they have hormones and can be so unkind…. Right?? Well, there is a reason that I fought so hard to get Bubba into the school that he is at, simply put…. It is AMAZING!!!!! Seriously, AMAZING!!! Not only is his teacher a pure angel but the kids….. well, they aren’t that scary after all. To be honest, those BIG, smelly, scary middle school kids are AWESOME!  


Yesterday I had the PRIVILEGE of helping at Bubba’s schools Best Buddies carnival.  Best Buddies is a nonprofit organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. It is an AMAZING program!! I just realized that I am saying AMAZING a lot in this post. Well, get used to it because I have a feeling that it will be said again. Wink! Students have to fill out an application to be in the Best Buddies program, it is special, a privilege. I was AMAZED as I watched so many beautiful “true friendships” made.  


EVERY time I look at this picture of these beautiful girls I cry.
Don't they look like girlfriends sharing secrets and laughing together??
It's my favorite from the day. 
Bubba and his two Best Buddies. Justin, the one on the left, is one of Bubba's friends older brother.
He ASKED to be Bubba's Buddy. When I heard this my heart smiled!!! Seriously, it was so AMAZING to watch him with these boys!!! I was afraid that when he saw me he would only want me, like he normaly does. Oh No! He was with his Buddies and had no problem leaving Mommy behind to play with them. I couldn't help but get a little tear watching him forming a "true friendship" with these AMAZING boys!!! 
~ The only disability in life is a bad attitude. ~
Scott Hamilton  
~ A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities. ~   William Arthur Ward

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
- Mother Teresa  

"Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together"
- Woodrow Wilson
"It is not so much our friends' help that helps us as the confident knowledge that they will help us."
- Epicurus Greek philosopher
To all of you wonderful parents that are raising these AMAZING children-
THANK YOU!!!! Thank you, for teaching them to see past the DIS and see their abilities. Thank you for raising AMAZING young men and women!!! You have given this Mommy an AMAZING gift..... seeing her son form a "true friendship". I can't tell you what a truly wonderful gift that is.
Love,
One very grateful Mommy

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the tissue warning!

I loved this.

From beginning to end.

Because I know what it feels like when you are friendless and it seems everyone else has someone.

And you don't need popularity, talent, cool clothes, wit - if you just have a friend.

It is just TRANSFORMING. And you're right: AMAZING.

So thankful for that school - and for those parents who have raised the beautiful souls in there! Thankful for the compassionate and sensitive hearts God has given these kids... and for the way those hearts have been protected and nurtured in this hard world.

Erin Huss said...

So so so sweet.

sandi said...

Love love love! So cool!