Sunday, September 5, 2010

My FAVORITE and HARDEST summer EVER

At the beginning of the summer I was terrified!!!! I was scared as to how in the world I was going to be able to keep Bubba and Regan both happy and entertained an entire summer. I was scared that Bubba would go crazy being stuck at home not having summer school or summer camp to go to. I was overwhelmed at the thought of what his recovery MIGHT be. I was scared of my new duties as mother and having to care for my sweet son is a very different way. I remember when the nurse handed Bubba to me in the recovery room after his first two surgeries. I felt the tube coming out of his stomach… it SCARED me. I thought that I would be a natural in this new phase of motherhood but in all honesty from the second that looked at his sweet little belly with the tube I was incredibly intimidated. I watched the nurses in the hospital for a week feed and care for Bubba in way that I wasn’t sure if I could. The nurses were sweet and kind and took their time teaching me. I felt like a new mom all over again. I remember thinking to myself several times in the hospital…. I CAN do hard things… I CAN do hard things. You know what….. I did. I struggled at first but I learned and over time it became natural. I had a friend tell me that my posts made our summer seem easy. Well, let me share a little secret with you. This summer was anything but easy BUT it was fun. The weather cooperated with us and allowed us to go and play. This is one of the coolest summers we have had in a while. One cloudy morning I received a text message from my mother in law… it read something like this “Your prayers must be powerful..…you know this weather is for Bubba.” I wish I could take the credit and say that my prayers are THAT powerful but I know that God loves him as much as I do. I truly feel that this beautiful, cool, and cloudy weather was a tender mercy from the Lord. If it were not for this beautiful weather we would not have been able play as much as we have and Bubba would not have been as healthy as he has been this summer. Some mornings I didn’t want to go anywhere…. I didn’t want to have to deal with feeds in public, wheelchair, or just FIGHTING Bubba at times BUT when I would look out and see those beautiful clouds I knew they were for us. So, every chance that we were given we ceased the day!! Most nights my back ached and I would try to stretch it out and take TONS of ibuprofen. I would wake up the next morning feeling better and ready to go. I have broken down to Jason several times in tears about how hard it has been just to make it to the end of the day at times. I would wake up the next morning feeling better and ready to go…. I CAN do hard things. Wink!!! You know the funny thing is…. As scared and as terrified as I was of this summer, I don’t want it to end. It has been hard, fun, wonderful, overwhelming, awesome, scary, blessed, challenging, and beautiful all at the same time. It is my FAVORITE summer that I have had with my children so far.


After Regan’s comment that we hadn’t done ANYTHING this summer I let her plan our last full week of summer. It was a wonderful week….. I DON’T want summer to end!!!!

Monday we went to Disneyland bright and early, as soon as they opened. Nana and cousin Andrea went with us.  We had so much fun!!!


I finally got some shots of Bubba on Big Thunder Mountain.
That ride is SUPER shakey and fast BUT I did get a couple just so that
you can see how much Bubba really does LOVE rollercoasters!!
On Tuesday Regan wanted us to go to the Aquarium.... so that is where we went!
Then it was off to Ballet class to complete our fun day.
Wednesday Regan and I got to go on our last YOU and ME date of the summer.
We had lunch and did a little last minute school shopping.
Later that day she went to an oh so fun B-day part.
(sorry no pictures)

Then on Thursday we headed back to Disneyland with Daddy.
(later that day we had our back to school fashion show)

Friday we had to say good bye to Bubba's nurse Ms. Vesta :(
After he starts school she will not be able to work with him any longer because of her schecule.
Regan decided that the best good bye outing was the Aquarium.
(this picture is awful but it is the only one we got.)



Regan planned a very fun and busy week. If I haven't said it enough .... I don't want summer to end!!!!
(We have two more days and YES we will be playing!!!!) wink!

2 comments:

Susan said...

What amazing, beautiful memories! What an amazing mom to tackle all that for her children! What a brilliant smile on your little boy's face! What an affirmation of the best, most important thing in life—a loving, dedicated family. "Hard" is worth it. You just proved it.

Anonymous said...

your doing a wonderful job julie :) your babies are so happy and so fortunate to have such a loving, caring and attentive mother and father. your such an example to so many of us. thank you for sharing.