Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sweet & Sour

Sweet & Sour is something that Regan and I "play" often. It's this simple.... tell me one sweet thing about your day {a positive} and one sour thing about your day {a negative}. I thought it would be fun to start a weekly Sweet & Sour post. We'll see how long this lasts or if I stick to it BUT hey let's give it a try. Heaven knows I am also do for a good "I'm not that kind of gal" post.


My sour for today.... the US government. Yes, I said the government. I am sure you have all read, heard, and watched all of the coverage with the budget issues that are going on right now and their inability to come to an agreement, either side seems to be unwilling to come to a compromise. If the two sides can't come together over a budget by the end of Friday, then the federal government will begin to cease operations on Saturday morning. Why am I so upset by this you ask??? Well, the National Institute for Health, Bubba's hospital in Maryland, is government funded. We are due to fly on an airplane Saturday and meet with his team of doctors on Monday. Jason has taken off from work, my baby sister has taken off from work and school to come and help, and we have spent months planning this trip only to find out that there is a VERY good chance that there is no point in going. It is so frustrating that because two parties are being so stubborn and not wanting to compromise MANY Americans will be affected, out of work with out pay, left with unobtainable travel plans and medical care. We are praying for the best BUT I doubt that any compromises will be made by Friday. I am not sure what we will do at that point. We have been planning this trip for months, Jason's work vacation schedule for the year has been planned and I don't think we can swing another week off, and how in the world could I ask my sister to do all of this again. It is just crazy! The hardest part is that we wont know until Friday if we should go or not. So, I will have to pack our bags, get all of Bubba's equipment, medications, and things ready, and sit and wait just in case. Then if it doesn't come through and we are unable to go how do I explain to an excited 6 year old that see's the bags packed that we are not going. I can't even begin to explain in words my frustration about this entire situation. My heart goes out to the Staff at the NIH and all other Federal employees that are having to endure this waiting game right now.

Ok, now on to my sweet. I have two for today... is that cheating? My first sweet is that I got to spend a wonderful morning with my Mother in law. For my birthday she treated me to a morning of shopping followed by a yummy lunch. I was grateful for the shopping but my favorite part of the morning was just simply spending one on one quality time with her. Things have been so hectic with Uncle Bill getting more sick, daily tasks and then my schooling. It was wonderful gift of her precious time. I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am to have her in my life. She has been by my side in some of the hardest moments in my life and been there to celebrate with me in the wonderful ones. I don't know what I would do with out her.

My second sweet is another gift we received today, a chair. After school I was visiting with PTA moms and going through a room of "stuff" and trying to figure out what would be done with it when the school closes. In the corner I spotted several old seating chairs for those with disabilities. I asked a PTA friend, who happens to be an aid in a special day class, what they would do with the chairs. She then disappeared to ask Bubba's teacher if they could gift us with one. He came into the room carrying a brand new blue chair. He then went on to explain that he wasn't sure about giving away the school's chairs and wouldn't feel right about it but he did have this one. It was a chair that was gifted to him personally to use how ever he needed. When he told me who gave it to him my heart broke. It was gifted by Bubba's friend Jon's parents. He was not able to use it before he went home to heaven and that is why it was still in perfect condition. I kept asking him if he was sure about this gift and he reassured me over and over that it was not being used in the classroom and that Jon's Moms would want it to be used. This precious gift has touched my heart on so many levels. I now look forward to seeing Jon's Mom and letting her know how truly grateful we are for her kind gesture.

Here are some pictures of Bubba in his new chair for you to enjoy.



What were your sweet and sours today??


3 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Oh that little boy is beyond precious! So happy you got that chair and for the many good people in this world. I'm praying that you are able to take your trip. That is so hard!!!

Susan said...

Sour: also the government's inability to compromise. They don't seem to be too worried about how the voters will react when it comes to election time, but they are affecting a lot of us! Will be praying that they come to their senses and you get to make the trip.

Sweet: The good things that are happening in life, like a sweet little girl's trip to meet the Disney princesses; the end of another child's chemo treatment now that remission has been achieved; and BUBBA'S NEW CHAIR!! That's so awesome!! Oh yeah.....and the sweet thought that I can vote against the ineffective politicians.

Marie said...

I'm so glad you have my Aunt. She is amazing and so are you, you are the perfect fit for each other. Bubba's chair looks awesome, you deserve every kindness and happiness. We are all praying for a government miracle - especially for you.