Monday, January 11, 2010

One Tattered Angel

I am reading a book, One Tattered Angel by Blaine M. Yorgason, right now. It was given to my mother-in-law by a woman that she works in the temple with. She gave my mother in law a copy and also a copy to give to me. This was a very thoughtful gift. This books speaks to me... to our lives. It makes me think about my own little Tattered Angle and all that he has gone through in his short little life. Like the sweet little girl in this father's story, Collin was given very little chance to live. To make it past a year. Collin was born completely blind, unable to breath on his own, hurting, tiny, and RED. No, don't adjust the color on you screens. This is what my sweet little baby looked like when he entered into this world. He looked as if he had been burnt in a fire. His skin was so tight, it was hard for him to move his arms or legs. I couldn't touch him. I couldn't hold him.

Then I look at this picture, notice the writing on it. I am Champion! I had this picture on my fridge to remind me how strong he truly is. This picture was taken just seconds after his birth. They had barley even cleaned him up. They were helping him breath and trying to get him to a point were they could transport him. Collin showed the doctors how strong he was soon after. He pulled the VERY long tube out from his throat, ext abating himself. He was breathing on his own. The doctors were amazed! One, this is usually a long and slow process of weaning them off of the oxygen and two he could barley move his little arms. At that moment I knew that my son was a fighter, a champion, and that he was stronger than anyone had imagined.


Like the father in this book, I also believe that my sweet little boy willingly accepted these challenges to be able to come to us. He is an incredibly righteous and powerful little spirit. Collin's smile is a testament of God's love for us. If I can but endure with my sweet little Tattered Angel here on earth the rewards in Heaven will be great.

5 comments:

Katie said...

He is the biggest Champion I know! We should start a book club...

Kenny said...

Oh, Julie, if you ever stop doubting how strong you and your family really are, just ask the rest of us who have never had to see our babies experience anything close to what you have already endured. Love you!

Heather said...

I have never told you this, but the first time I saw you at church I was amazed and knew you were a strong woman. You were carrying Reagan over your shoulder in her carrier and pushing Collin in his wheelchair and carrying a diaper bag on top of it all. I stared at you the whole way to your seat. I WAS AMAZED...and still am by how much you can handle and all that you guys go through on a daily basis. Your whole family is a great example to us all. Miss you tons!! Love ya!

Palmyra said...

Oh Julie, you have me in tears! You are so right. The rewards in Heaven will be great. He is so wonderful and brave. You and your family are an example to us all.

The Gray Family said...

he is such an amazing little guy, and he has such an amazing momma as well!